Associate Director, Application Development
The Institute for Protein Innovation (IPI) is a nonprofit research organization advancing protein science to accelerate research and improve human health. Located on the Harvard Medical School campus in the Boston Longwood Medical Area, IPI is pioneering a new way of doing science that uniquely combines the freedom of academia with the high-throughput scaling of industry to take on transformative projects. IPI has built a robust platform and a repository of synthetic antibodies and other protein tools. We share them with the biomedical community through licensing, collaboration and eventual commercial distribution. The Institute’s deep protein expertise, collaborative spirit and fit-for-purpose antibodies are powering new biomedical and therapeutic discoveries for academic and industrial researchers worldwide.
The Associate Director, Application Development will report to the Director of the Antibody Initiative, Joe Bertelsen. The position will be responsible for leading the scientists and research associates tasked with ensuring that our high-quality synthetic antibodies perform in the applications most needed by the scientific community. The job will include managing the design and implementation of antibody characterization assays to ensure that our products’ performance is aligned with industry scientists’ requirements. The ideal candidate will also serve as the Development team’s point person for aligning our technologies and strategies with other team leaders across the Institute. IPI has a fast-paced, intellectually driven and collaborative research culture. Candidates who are engaged, enthusiastic and willing to multitask will fit in well.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead the design and execution of cellular assays to validate antibodies in the pipeline, using flow cytometry, ELISA-based techniques, ICC, IF, etc.
- Be an active member of the Antibody Initiative Leadership Team, providing strategic insight into business directives and growth initiatives.
- Improve process, lab procedure and testing methods.
- Implement new technologies.
- Ensure timely completion of batch records and other required documentation.
- Provide technical expertise, establish new SOPs, review test results and report data.
- Build out a robust Antibody Development Team by recruiting additional talent, monitoring the performance of existing team members, mentoring, motivating the team and identifying the talent for potential career advancement.
- Maintain current knowledge of the reagent antibody, synthetic biology and cell biology fields through scientific literature and collaborations with thought leaders in our particular areas of interest.
- Maintain and monitor group operational documentation and laboratory equipment.
- Provide leadership for the transition of products from development to production and ultimately to product launch.
- Must be able to communicate and professionally represent the Antibody Initiative Team in cross-team projects, organization-wide activities and external Institute promotion.
- Must have 10 years of industry experience and five years managing scientists in a product development area.
- Ph.D. in biological or life sciences field required.
- Expertise with cell biology techniques required (mammalian cell culture, transfection, ELISAs, functional assays, IF, WB, IHC).
- Knowledge of antibody discovery techniques and workflows is required.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have exceptional organizational and time-management skills and exhibit careful attention to detail.
- Must be an innovative, motivated, highly organized and enthusiastic team player with the ability to handle multiple products and interact across departments within and outside the company.
- Must be willing and able to learn new skills to meet the organization’s dynamic needs.
- Familiarity with project management software such as LIMS, CA PPM, EZ Project, etc., is a plus.
- 10% travel requirement to visit collaborators, attend industry meetings and represent IPI at industry shows.
- Must be on-site a minimum of 4 days per week.
- Medical, dental and vision plans with premiums paid at 100%
- Healthcare reimbursement
- Life insurance, short- and long-term disability
- Flexible spending accounts
- 401(k) plan with 6% match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Generous PTO package
- Educational assistance
- Commuter and parking reimbursement
- Career development opportunities
IPI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit research organization and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
At IPI, we believe that to truly innovate, we need all perspectives, and an inclusive world is built from a supportive environment. Here all applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or other applicable characteristics.
If interested, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.