The Institute for Protein Innovation (IPI) is a nonprofit research organization advancing protein science to accelerate research and improve human health. Located on the Harvard Medical School campus in the Boston Longwood Medical Area, IPI uniquely combines the freedom of academia with the high-throughput scaling of industry to take on transformative projects. IPI has built a robust platform that produces well-characterized, synthetic antibodies and other protein tools. We share them with the biomedical community through licensing, collaboration and commercial distribution. The Institute’s deep protein expertise, collaborative spirit and fit-for-purpose antibodies are powering new biomedical and therapeutic discoveries for academic and industrial researchers worldwide.
The Antibody Development Scientist will report to the Development Team Lead. The role proposes and implements testing plans for new reagent antibodies designed for use in several fields, potentially including immunology, oncology, stem cells and neuroscience. This position leads projects and validates antibodies by various applications including, but not limited to, flow cytometry/FACS, western blot, immunoprecipitation, ELISA, ICC, IHC or IF. The ideal candidate manages projects — from evaluation to launch — by effectively communicating with team members within and outside the department. This position is also responsible for training junior personnel. IPI has a fast-paced, intellectually driven, and collaborative research culture. Candidates who are engaged, enthusiastic and willing to multitask will fit in well.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Initiate new projects and propose ideas based on published research
- Provide support in the transition of products from development to production and, ultimately, product launch
- Design and execute cellular assays to characterize antibodies in the pipeline using flow cytometry, ELISA-based techniques, ICC and IF
- Evaluate and propose innovative antibody validation technologies to optimize the antibody screening and validation process
- Perform literature searches, write technical reports and establish specs for products in the portfolio
- Manage projects from initiation to launch, while exhibiting the ability to balance multiple project assignments
- Collaborate with team members within and outside the department to provide project updates and establish project timelines
- Provide technical expertise in a variety of applications including western blot, immunoprecipitation, ELISA, flow cytometry, immunocytochemistry, immunohistochemistry, etc.
- Responsible for training and mentoring junior associates; involved in hiring and building technical expertise in the team
- Work with the IPI team to implement launch plans and strategies
- Utilize Key Opinion Leader and strategic partner relationships to align product performance criteria with market demands
- Develop a database of frequently asked technical service questions to facilitate more efficient responses in the future
- Ph.D. in biological or life sciences field with two years of hands-on industry or postdoctoral experience using antibody technologies
- Experience in developing recombinant antibodies is desired
- Must have excellent communication skills, including writing and presentation skills, to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
- Must be an independent and highly driven individual who can prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously in a rapidly changing environment
- Must have a strong ability to organize multi-faceted information and data sets to drive research initiatives and provide strategic recommendations
- Medical, dental and vision plans, with premiums paid at 100%
- Healthcare reimbursement
- Life Insurance, short- and long-term disability
- Flexible spending accounts
- 401(k) plan with 6% match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Generous PTO package
- Educational assistance
- Commuter and parking reimbursement
- Career development opportunities
IPI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit research organization and proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
At IPI, we believe that to truly innovate, we need all perspectives, and an inclusive world is built from a supportive environment. Here all applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or other applicable characteristics.
If interested, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.