Reports to the the Director of The Antibody Initiative
The Institute for Protein Innovation (IPI) is a nonprofit research organization advancing protein science to accelerate research and improve human health. Located on the Harvard Medical School campus in the Boston Longwood Medical Area, IPI uniquely combines the freedom of academia with the high-throughput scaling of industry to take on transformative projects. IPI has built a robust platform that produces well-characterized, synthetic antibodies and other protein tools. We share them with the biomedical community through licensing, collaboration and commercial distribution. The Institute’s deep protein expertise, collaborative spirit and fit-for-purpose antibodies are powering new biomedical and therapeutic discoveries for academic and industrial researchers worldwide.
The Antibody Development Team Lead will report to the Director of The Antibody Initiative. The position will be responsible for leading the scientists and research associates tasked with ensuring our high-quality synthetic antibodies perform in the applications most needed by the scientific community. The job will include managing the design and implementation of antibody characterization assays, ensuring that the performance of our products is aligned with the requirements of industry scientists. Candidates will also serve as the development team’s point person for aligning our technologies and strategies with other team leaders across the Institute. IPI has a fast-paced, intellectually driven and collaborative research culture. Candidates who are engaged, enthusiastic and willing to multitask will fit in well.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead the design and execution of cellular assays to validate antibodies in the pipeline using flow cytometry, ELISA-based techniques, ICC, IF, etc.
- Work with IPI’s strategic marketing team, characterization team and collaborators to determine the most impactful assays to develop and implement for validation of our antibodies
- Improve process, lab procedure, testing methods and implement new technologies
- Ensure timely completion of batch records and other required documentation
- Provide technical expertise, establish new SOPs, review test results and report data
- Build a strong antibody development team by recruiting additional talent, monitoring the performance of existing team members, mentoring and motivating the team and identifying the talent for potential career advancement.
- Maintain current knowledge of the reagent antibody, synthetic biology and cell biology fields through scientific literature and collaborations with thought leaders in our particular areas of interest.
- Maintain and monitor group operational documentation and laboratory equipment
- Provide leadership for the transition of products from development to production, and ultimately to product launch
- Must have 5+ years of industry experience and 3+ years managing scientists in a product development area
- Masters or PhD in biological or life sciences field required
- Expertise with cell biology techniques required (mammalian cell culture, transfection, ELISAs, functional assays, IF, WB, IHC)
- Knowledge of antibody discovery techniques and workflows required
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have exceptional organizational skills, time-management skills and exhibit careful attention to detail
- Must be an innovative, motivated, highly organized, and enthusiastic team player with the ability to handle multiple products and interact with multiple departments within and outside the company
- Must be willing and able to learn new skills to meet the dynamic needs of the organization
- Must have excellent computer skills including instrumentation specific software and proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with project management software such as LIMS, CA PPM, EZ Project, etc. is a plus
IPI is an independent 501(3)(c) nonprofit research organization and an equal opportunity employer. The Institute celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If interested, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.