Team leader Protein Production
Reports to the Director of the Antibody Platform
The Institute for Protein Innovation (IPI) is a nonprofit research organization advancing protein science to accelerate research and improve human health. Located on the Harvard Medical School campus in the Boston Longwood Medical Area, IPI uniquely combines the freedom of academia with the high-throughput scaling of industry to take on transformative projects. IPI has built a robust platform and a repository of synthetic antibodies and other protein tools to share with the biomedical community through licensing and collaboration. The Institute’s deep protein expertise, collaborative spirit and antibodies are powering new biomedical and therapeutic discoveries for academic and industrial researchers worldwide.
The Team Leader Biophysics will play an essential role in the high-throughput characterization of antigens and synthetic antibodies of reagent quality. IPI’s flagship project, the Antibody Initiative, aims to create well-characterized, fit-for-purpose antibodies for all human cell surface receptors and their ligands, with high therapeutic and diagnostic potential.
The successful candidate will lead a team that characterizes and validates glycoprotein antigens and antibodies, using a range of biophysical techniques. The candidate also contributes to specific collaborative projects that require detailed kinetic experiments.
Specifically, the Team Leader will oversee quality control—using light scattering and mass spectrometry—and perform kinetic experiments with our Carterra LSA surface plasmon resonance machine and Sartorius HTX bio-layer interferometer. The Team leader will have extensive knowledge in biophysics, hands-on experience in operating biophysics equipment and affinity with programming languages required for data analysis.
The Team leader will work in close collaboration with the other members of the Antibody Initiative and will contribute to a wide array of biological discovery projects. The position requires strong communication skills and the ability to engage with outside collaborators. The goal is to translate their biological questions into novel protein reagents and to share these reagents with the larger research community.
Responsibilities and Duties
● Supervise a team consisting of one PhD scientist and a research associate and coordinate with other scientists to ensure efficient quality control of antigens and antibodies
● Design and perform kinetic experiments that will evidence the qualities of synthetic antibodies as they are prepared for distribution
● Contribute to the strategic planning of synthetic antibody validation
● Leverage robotics and automation to increase the quality and throughput of antigen and antibody production
● Actively lead experimental design and data production for collaborations and scientific publications
● Participate in meetings and conferences to engage and recruit external research groups to participate in the Antibody Initiative
● Actively contribute to a dynamic team in a fast, start-up culture
● PhD degree and at least ten years’ experience in biophysical characterization of proteins ● Adept using software for biophysical data interpretation
● Proficient in computer programming languages such as python, C++ and Java
● Willing to take responsibility for the timely characterization of high-quality antigen targets and reagent-grade antibodies for distribution to our partners and collaborators
● Enthusiastic team worker with strong engagement in tool development for the life sciences
● Capable manager of a team of early career stage scientists
IPI is an independent 501(3)(c) nonprofit research organization and an equal opportunity employer. The Institute celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If interested, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.